At the 31st Ordinary Session of the Assembly of African Union Heads of State and Government in Nouakchott, Mauritania, June 2018, a decision was taken to transform the NEPAD Planning and Coordination Agency into the African Union Development Agency-NEPAD (AUDA-NEPAD), a development agency of the African Union. The establishment of AUDA-NEPAD was part of the global reforms geared at improving the Union’s impact and operational efficiency.
The mandate of the Africa Union Development Agency-NEPAD (AUDA-NEPAD) is to:
- Coordinate and Execute priority regional and continental projects to promote regional integration towards the accelerated realisation of Agenda 2063; and
- Strengthen capacity of African Union Member States and regional bodies,
- Advance knowledge-based advisory support,
- Undertake the full range of resource mobilisation and
- Serve as the continent’s technical interface with all Africa’s development stakeholders and development partners.
The AUDA-NEPAD mandate gives the organisation a wider role in terms of providing knowledge-based advisory support to AU Member States in the pursuit of their national development priorities.